Friday, July 3, 2020

An End and a Beginning.

   As of today I am a senior friar, or, if you will, I am retired.  What does that mean?  I want to make clear that I will be a priest and friar for the rest of my life. My province of the Franciscans permits us to become senior friars at age 75.  I reached that milestone this past December.  I was hoping to prolong this decision for a few years, perhaps until 80, should I live that long. The reality of the Covid-19 crisis has brought me to the awareness that I will not be going out to preach missions and retreats or to preach for Unbound for the foreseeable future. When this crisis ends I hope to continue my ministry of preaching.  The difference is that I will be able to do as much or as little as I wish.  My hope is to do a lesser amount of traveling and to assist at one of our local parishes.

   As a friar and priest this time also affords me the chance to spend more time in prayer and reflection, to place more emphasis on the contemplative dimension of my Franciscan life. St. Anthony Friary where I live is made up mostly of senior friars.  It is a privilege to live with men who have dedicated themselves to parish ministry, shrine church ministry, education, military and hospital chaplaincy, formation of our younger friars and foreign missionary work.

   During this crisis none of us have been able to minister outside.  Our provincial has stressed that protecting one another from the virus is of utmost importance.  We do, however, have daily Mass in our chapel as well as community prayer.  We have been praying for all of you who have not been able to celebrate Eucharist as well has for those suffering and dying from this terrible virus, for health care workers and first-responders.   I can add to that our prayers and concern for racial justice.

  This pause has also given me the chance to look back over the years and to be grateful for the many blessings the Lord has given me and the many people who have become part of my life. I am taking things one day at a time and look forward to the end of this pandemic, an end that I think is months away and maybe more.  When that time comes our country, our world and out Church will be different.  I won't attempt to say how different, but things will be different, hopefully better.







1 comment:

Moving Out and Moving Ahead Cautiosly