Wednesday, February 5, 2020

A Priest For The World

    Welcome aboard to my new blog.  I have chosen to keep the same web address so that my Wandering Friar Posts are available here by just scrolling down. As the new blog title suggests I will be offering perspectives from my own heart and soul on my life and on the world around me. I also hope to avoid entering into the mire of rancor that floods the internet today.  That having been said, here goes.

   I was ordained to the priesthood in May of 1971, almost 49 years ago. At that time I was quite aware that while a priest is ordained to serve the whole Church, The Body of Christ, and indeed the whole world, his immediate and primary focus is to serve the parish, school, etc. where he is stationed. That was certainly my primary focus in places where I served.

   As the years have gone by I have noticed that I have become, by God's grace, a priest for the world. Prepositions can be important.  I do not say "of the world" for two reasons.  One is that a priest is not supposed to be worldly, desiring money. power, etc.  The other is that I am not a megalomaniac who thinks that I have some sort of special power over the world or that I am widely known around the world. Rather, I find that I am becoming more aware of and connected to the wider world in my ministry and more desirous of raising awareness of the wider Church and the wider world in my preaching.

   In many ways I have been prepared for this role from an early age.  In the fourth grade my teacher, Miss Kelly, specialized in geography. I still remember her vivid presentations about different countries including slides that she had taken while visiting many of them.  Later, in the seminary, I was always intrigued by  the stories told us by friar missionaries who were home for vacation. Since joining the Ministry of the Word in 1987 I have visited more than half of the 50 states and 3 provinces in Canada. I spent almost three years in Bolivia and  served in Rome for 7 months as a confessor in the Jubilee Year 2000.  I was chaplain on 4 mission trips to Honduras.  Finally, in recent years I have been preaching weekend campaigns for Unbound, a charity that invites people to sponsor children and needy elders in 19 different countries.With them I have been on awareness trips to El Salvador and Peru and am sponsoring someone in each of these countries.

   I list these wanderings of mine not just to say "Wow, look at the places where I have been.", but because in each of these places and others I have encountered people form all over the world and heard their stories, stories of faith, of struggle, of courage, of love and much more.  When I preach missions and retreats all of this wonderful journey comes with me. When i preach for Unbound I am actually able, by God's grace, to connect people in our country with folks in other parts of the world. I consider all of this to be a unique blessing that has shaped my ministry as a friar and as a priest. My awareness of all of this came together in the past year (2019) as I traveled to places like Honolulu, Peru, Fargo North Dakota, Mississippi and New York.  I realized that the good Lord was enriching me and  shaping the sense of my vocation.  I am grateful for that. Of course, with all my travels returning to my friary community in between events is vitally important. I may be a priest for the world but without grounding in my community I would easily float adrift. Also, my roots are in Boston and I enjoy visiting my brother and his wife, his daughters and hgis gandchildren whenever I can.

Below are some pictures from 2019:

With a Hawaian lei around my neck at Mass in Honolulu

With my sponsored frined Anthony and his family in Peru

A memroy garden at a parish in Brooklyn for 11 people killed on 9/11

Baptizing my grand nephew Michael
 With all my travels my family is never forgotten
Family gathered with baby Michael

With awareness trip group at a home in Peru

With an all female fan group in Green Bay watching the Packers

An Unbound table at a parish in Texas





 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Moving Out and Moving Ahead Cautiosly