Monday, May 21, 2018

Thoughts from a Wandering Friar--A New direction for this blog.



   I have received several e-mails and had comments made in conversations as to why I have not posted on this blog in a while. There is no simple answer to this question.  For one thing I have been sensing that I am not adding much to the conversation about what's going on in our world and I refuse to get drawn in to the angry ranting that passes for intelligent conversation.  I do admit that on a few occasions I have fallen into that trap.

  Secondly I realize that this blog did not have a clear focus.  That can be OK.  This is not a newspaper or magazine with deadlines for writers and an editorial position for the product.

   With all of the above taken into consideration from now on my blog will be about my ministry of preaching, especially preaching parish missions and retreats for religious, but also my work with Unbound. See Unbound. See as well my own Unbound outreach page in the Links section to the right. I will present thoughts on my preaching themes as well as comments (always positive) on the people and places that I visit, as well as occasionally talking about the overall direction of my ministry.

   As we approach the end of May  will be having a busy summer, one that began early last week with an Unbound campaign in Rockport, TX.  Rockport is about 33 miles north of Corpus Christi. I arrived there on a Friday and observed right away the devastating effects that Hurricane Harvey had on the area with many homes and places of business damaged or even totally destroyed, including the parish center at Sacred Heart Parish.  My heart sank and I thought, "How can people who have suffered all this find their way to sponsoring a child or needy elder in another country?"  Nonetheless I carried on and 44 people came forward to become sponsors.  That generosity deeply moved me and was a humbling reminder of God at work even in very difficult circumstances.  A big thank you to the people of Rockport. TX.

   The months ahead have me going to Arkansas,Louisiana, California and Delaware to preach for Unbound.  I will likely have a few more commitments for them.  I will also be preaching a retreat for the Sisters of St. Joseph in Clarence, NY.

   At  the end of June I will be presiding at a wedding in Texas. The groom is a young man that I first met in Eagle River, WI in 1995.   I have come to know his family very well and it will be a delight to be part of that great celebration when Caleb and Sunny get married,  After that I head for Albuquerque for meeting priests.

   Perhaps the moist important event of the summer will happen in Loudonville, NY from May 29-31. All the friars of my province, joined with friars from all over the US who will meet with their respective provinces will vote to possibly merge into one province.  Please pray for us. I will let you know not only the outcome, but what the experience was like.



Table with folders for people to be sponsored.




   

3 comments:

  1. Great article. Please pray for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your visit this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are planning a home office or home office workspace, you probably have a need to purchase some computer desk furniture. Although there are many sources of computer desk furniture, one of the most efficient and cost-effective methods for shopping is to buy your computer desk furniture online- for CHEAP! replacement windows

    ReplyDelete

Moving Out and Moving Ahead Cautiosly